Wednesday, October 22, 2014

First Aid Ideas

I wrote a blog on first aid items you can get at Dollar Tree (here), and this blog goes above and beyond that list. It is of course incomplete, but you can always comment more ideas! Join my new facebook group: Prepping Foods for tips and to post any questions!


Firstly, I pack my IFAK (Individual First Aid Kit) differently than a lot of people. Because I bought in bulk and gifted ifak starters to friends I was able to make my ifak almost a dream one. I not only carry gauze, sutures, iv items, and bandages singly, I also used a foodsaver to make “kits” so I have packets with a notecard facing out with like “ankle injury” on it and it holds ace bandages, antipseptic wipes, gauze, bandages, and other things, all in one easy to grab package. I have these for many types of illnesses and injuries and my ifak is in two large identical duffels one in car and one at home, I’m not bugging out and if I would I’d have to downsize.


You’ll also see I sort my preps. This is by compartment and level of triage.


MED, antibiotics/antiseptics/antivirals

MED, Bactricin/Monistat/Midol

MED, cold/flu/allergy/multvitamins/dramamine

MED, Sudafed/EpiPen/Insomnia

MED, hemorrhoidal/enemas/gas-x

MED, ibuprofen/tylenol/aleve/aspirin

MED, muscle relaxers/pain/numbing

MED, Pepto/Imodium AD/Laxitives/Rolaids

M-EMT, ace bandages

M-EMT, Band-Aids

M-EMT, gauze

M-EMT, liquid bandages

M-EMT, sutures

M-EMT, alcohol pads

M-EMT, antiseptic ointment

M-EMT, antiseptic spray/wipes

M-EMT, assorted gloves

M-EMT, blood pressure cuff/stethoscope

M-EMT, body warmers

M-EMT, burn gel

M-EMT, casts/splints

M-EMT, cold compress

M-EMT, CPR kit

M-EMT, emergency airway

M-EMT, eye pads

M-EMT, eye shields

M-EMT, glucose monitoring kit

M-EMT, hand sanitizer

M-EMT, hot compress

M-EMT, hydrocortisone

M-EMT, hydrocortisone cream

M-EMT, insect repellent

M-EMT, iodine pads

M-EMT, lidocaine

M-EMT, liquid bandages

M-EMT, new skin patches

M-EMT, nonstick gauze/tape

M-EMT, petroleum jelly

M-EMT, Q-tips

M-EMT, safety pins

M-EMT, saline

M-EMT, smelling salts

M-EMT, sunblock

M-EMT, toenail clippers

M-EMT, travel size iodine

M-EMT, travel size isopropyl alcohol

M-EMT, travel size peroxide

M-EMT, wet naps

M-EMT, whistles


MD-ER, bedsore wound dressings

MD-ER, birth control

MD-ER, condoms

MD-ER, CPR kit

MD-ER, disposable shoe covers

MD-ER, emergency airway

MD-ER, emergency contraception


MD-ER, glucose monitoring kit

MD-ER, IV Equipment & Meds

MD-ER, magnifying glasses

MD-ER, medical logs

MD-ER, neck stabilization kit

MD-ER, postmortem kit

MD-ER, scissors

MD-ER, splatter masks

MD-ER, stethoscope/BP cuff

MD-ER, suture removal kit

MD-ER, syringes

MD-ER, tool sterilization kit

MD-OR, biohazard bags

MD-OR, bloodsoak sheets

MD-OR, sterile scrub brushes

MD-OR, thoracotomy kit

MD/GYN, gynecological instruments/meds

Additions from comments
Christy Van Drunen:
Add Kerlix, Israeli bandages, tourniquet (unless I missed that), BP cuff is listed under EMT for triage, but the stethoscope is under ER. I'd keep them together. 
I'm always pretty specific about tape. Micropore and transpore suck in the field. Durapore is my favorite. Have it in varying sizes. 1-3" widths. A sharpie is nice...you can write on some tape put on the patient if you can't do paper.

William Beard:
One thing I would also do is get some medihoney gauze specifically for dealing with burns.

2 comments:

Thanks for being apart of the discussion, and as always, stay prepared.